Solid State Drive (SSD) gaining popularity in different data storage network. Why its gaining popularity? well, it’s gaining popularity due to few reasons: faster in speed, size of disk, latency , supportablity, availability in different forms, random read workload, less power consumption. Solid state disk is called flash memory.
In different data center role of disk is very much important for few perspective like, speed , random workload, performance, cost, size. And Solid State drive fit for all these perspective. When you talk about data storage, there are different questions can be in your mind, like how to store our data so that the performance of our application will be drastically increase. you can say performance will be lightning fast but few of the factor which you need to consider based on the usages and your requirement.
Key points about Solid State Media
Following are the key point about Solid State Media i.e. Solid State Drive (SSD), let us discuss in brief on by one.
- Size: It comes in same shape and size as of HDD
- Supportability/ Availability: : It supports SATA, SAS & FC interface PCI Card / solid state card. It available in form of PCI expansion card
- Cache: It is used in high end storage arrays for level 2 cache
- Mechanical parts: It has no mechanical parts so no seek time, no rotational latency involved. Only total delay which is very low as compared with seek time and rotational delay.
- Performance: It gives excellent performance for random work load
- Latency : more predictable performance as compared to HDD as has no positional latency no mechanical head to move.
- Consumption of Power: requires less power as no mechanical part to move to and fro.
- Cost: it is expensive due to high speed of it.
- Randon Workload: For Random reads SSD gives similar performance as DRAM
Different form of Flash memory ( solid state disk)
NAND flash drive
NOR Flash drive
Internal implementation of NAND and NOR are different. For more in-depth knowledge , you can read out famous book Data Storage Networking by Nigel Poulton. I really like this book to grasp in-depth knowledge of our data storage. I read out this book during my M. Tech. program and I really enjoyed by reading this.
Solid State Drive in Nutshell
Solid state drive is highly performance by comparing of HDD approx 100 x faster that the HDD.
Your comments are welcome to improve this post. Happy learning about your SDD (Solid Disk Drive).