There are different data storage protocols and interfaces in the data storage world. Each of the interfaces has its own importance in data storage networking.
1. Overview of Data storage protocols
Following are the data storage interfaces as:
- SATA (Serial Advance Technology Attachment)
- SAS ( Serial attached SCSI)
- NLSAS (Near line SAS)
- FC (Fiber Channel)
Let us discuss one by one in simple word.
2. SATA Interface
Data storage interface SATA stand for Serial Advance Technology Attachment. This is low end computing device, cheap, low performance. used for low cost components, smaller buffer.
Key points of SATA Interface
Following are the summary of data storage interface SATA.
- Low end computing device: This is used in low end computing devices such as PC, laptop, low performance , high capacity disk.
- Low cost: This is use in desktop, PC, Laptop , high capacity disk drive .
- Uses: Used at lower tier of auto tiering solution. here, auto tiering means automated progression or demotion of data across different tiers of storage device.
2. SCSI & SAS Data storage Interface
Key point of SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) Data storage Interface
- serial point to point protocal.
- Uses SCSI command set
- Expensive: SAS drives are more expensive than SATA and offer better performance than SATA
- performance: SAS offer better performance than STA.
- SAS drives are dual ported and each port can be connected to different controller resulting in higher performance and reliability.
- SCSI allows the OS to send multiple read and write request to hard drive.
- SCSI gives higher transfer rate compared to SATA
- SAS gives higher transfere rate compared to SCSI
Key point of NL-SAS Interface
Data storage interface NL-SAS, is hybrid of SAS and SATA.
- NL-SAS (near line SAS) interface are hybrid of SAS and SATA
- NL-SAS has SAS interface, follows SAS protocol
- NL-SAS uses SATA disk platters and components
3. FC SAN Inteface
Data storage interface FC SAN
A Fibre Channel (FC) port is a hardware pathway in and out of a node that performs data communications over an FC channel.
Your comments are welcome to improve this post. You reached till this point means you like this post, please share this on the social network to spread this post. happy learning 🙂
7 thoughts on “data storage – protocol and interface”
My brother recommended I might like this web site.
He was totally right. This post actually
made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for
this info! Thanks!
I think the admin of this web page is really working hard in favor
of his website, as here every data is quality based material.
Hello, I log on to your new stuff daily.
Your means of explaining the whole thing in this piece
of writing is genuinely nice, every one be able to without difficulty know
it, Thanks a lot.
Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and coverage!
Keep up the good works guys I’ve you guys to my own blogroll.
Very good post.
I am regular reader..