There are two main flash memory and both the type of flash memory is widely used in thier own fields. NAND is being most widely used flash drive in sever, laptop, PC. and NOR is most widely used in portable device like mobile, smart phone, hand held device, camera etc.
There are different types of SSD Flash memory in data storage and networking world. And both types are most frequently used in different sector in different domains. But after comparison you can find NAND flash memory is widely used flash memory. The reason, why NAND flash being used widely is mentioned at later section of this post, so requesting you read from beginning to understand well.
All your cell phones or portable devices contains SSD with NOR flash memory. Why so? this is mentioned in later section of this post.
If you do not know about basic of SSD Flash Memory you can visit our another post : Know about your SSD (Solid State Drive) Memory . if you would like to know about basic of different drive you visit types of Flash Memory. for in-depth understanding, you can read one of the famous book in the field of data storage and networking as: Data Storage and networking by Nigel Poulton
1. Comparison of NAND and NOR Flash Memory
|NAND flash memory||NOR Flash memory|
|Cost per bit||Low,||High|
|Stand by Power||Low||Medium|
|file storage use||Easy||some how hard|
Summary of above comparison as:
- Cost-per bit: NAND flash memory has low cost per bit compared to NOR.
- Capacity: NAND flash has high density and capacity compared to NOR.
- File storage usage: usage of file storage is easy in NAND device and hard in NOR, this may be the reason of widely used flash drive.
- code of execution: code of execution is easy in NOR and hard in NAND , that is why , in portable device its easily used to execute.
- read speed: read speed is faster in NOR flash that is why its being used in portable device.
- Write speed: write speed faster in NAND flash device.
- Consumption of Power: Power consumption in NOR is less and read is faster that
2. Why NAND flash memory is being used most widely?
NAND is most widely used flash memory because of few reasons:
- low cost per bit of storage
- NAND flash has high capacity and high density compared with NOR
- storage of file is easy
3. Why NOR flash memory used in Portable devices?
NOR Flash memory is being used in portable devices like mobile, smart phone, palmtop, tab, handy devices etc due to following reasons or you can say following are the main reason.
- execution of code directly in NOR flash memory is very easy and hard in NAND flash memory
- Faster read: read is faster in NOR
- consumes less power: consumption of power in NOR flash memory is less compared to NAND
on average if you observed carefully, read and write ration in any application is 80:20 approx. So in portable devices read operation is more that the write.
Your comments are welcome to improve this post. you reach here, this means, you enjoyed and liked this post, so requesting you to share on your social medial wall by clicking on social medial button, to spread the good things to your social network. Happy Learning 🙂
4. Power consumption of different drive
Power consumption of different drive of device
|Device Name||Approximate Power consumption|
|DRAM DIMM module (1GB)||5W|
|HDD with 15000 RPM drive||17.2 W|
|HDD - 7200 RPM drive (750GB)||12.5W|
|SSD High performance flash (128 GB)||2W|
If you carefully observed this table you can find power consumption in SSD flash memory is less compared with DRAM, HDD. Dynamic RAM (DRAM) is much cheaper as compared to static RAM.
In Static RAM 4-5 transistor required to store data whereas in dynamic RAM only single transistor required to store data. Due to cost DRAM is more widely used and cost effective.
Your comments are welcome to improve this post. Please share this post on social media if you really like this post. Happy Learning.