Learn various aspects and differences between SOAP and REST API Web services. SOAP API vs Rest API. Interview questions in the java web services in SOAP and REST.
1. Differences between SOAP and REST Web Services
Following are the differences between SOAP and Rest web service from different aspects.
- SOAP is a protocol while REST is an architectural style.
- SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol while REST stands for REpresentational State Transfer.
- SOAP can’t use REST because it is a protocol while REST can use SOAP web services because it is a concept and can use any protocol like HTTP, SOAP.
- SOAP uses services interfaces to expose the business logic while REST uses URI to expose business logic.
- SOAP defines standards to be strictly followed while REST does not define too much standards like SOAP.
- SOAP permits XML data format only while REST permits different data format such as Plain text, HTML, XML, JSON etc.
- SOAP support more security while REST support less security
- SOAP support different protocol as HTTP , SMTP , FTP, REST support only HTTP(S) protocol
- SOAP web services and client programs are bind with WSDL contract while REST doesn’t have any contract defined between server and client
- SOAP web services and client are tightly coupled with contract while REST web services are loosely coupled.
- SOAP web services can be tested through programs or software such as Soap UI while REST can be easily tested through CURL command, different browsers and extensions such as Chrome Postman/Advance Rest client.
Visit Oracle Java Official Site for SOAP vs Rest more details.
Please write a comment on this post, if I miss something to add. Happy learning!